Monday, July 4, 2011

Lupe Tortilla - San Antonio Texas

 A new restaurant opened up this week in north San Antonio. Lupe Tortilla, located on Hwy 281North recently opened their doors to the public so I decided to give it a try. There was no waiting, so, I was seated as soon as I walked in. Like many other typical Mexican food restaurants, once seated, I was given a basket of chips and salsa. Only, in addition to chips and salsa, I was also given a cup of pinto beans. I had a fork and knife as my utensil set but no spoon. I started eating the pinto beans and the salsa using chips. The salsa was no problem, but, eating the pinto beans with chips was a little awkward. So, I used my fork- but- that too wasn't right because the broth of pinto beans is the best part - IMHO, and the fork just wasn't cutting it. So, I stopped my waiter and asked him what was the deal with the pinto beans - are they to be eaten with chips or...
Anyway the waiter said that "yes" they were meant to be eaten with chips, but, truthfully most people just used their fork. So, first-of-all, if you offer pinto beans or any kind of food with broth, provide a spoon. I asked my waiter for a spoon and he gave me that "you're weird" look.
So, it's time to order, and I decide to get a "create your own combo" plate with a puffy taco, chile con queso and rice and re fried beans.
My plate came with the rice and beans, a puffy taco and a soft rolled taco. Not what I ordered. I finally flagged someone down to notify my waiter that my order was wrong.
The correct plate came with an apology for the mistake.
The puffy taco was very good. A light, puffy, not-greasy tortilla filled with flavor fully spiced ground beef, lettuce, tomato and topped with grated cheese. This taco was really stuffed and the most amazing thing was that it did not split down the middle. (For us puffy taco eaters, that is a common result when picking up to eat it). The chile-con-queso was also good, it was served in a cupped shaped tostada shell. The re fried beans, on the other hand, were bland. The rice was hard with many undercooked kernels and  not very flavorful.
With the exception of the puffy taco, my dining experience at Lupe Tortilla, was not very good. When first impressions are what someone remembers, this restaurant did not make a good impression in my book. After all, a good puffy taco, is easy to come by in San Antonio. Fork it, I don't think I'll be returning any time soon.


                                                                 Lupe Tortilla
                                                       21103 Highway 281 North
                                                             San Antonio, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment